Pages Tabs

 photo Home_zps84cc54f6.jpg  photo About_zpsf956b413.jpg  photo pr_zps54be3163.jpg  photo follow_zps471f6f78.jpg  photo bloglovin_zpsabc84ff6.jpg  photo INT_zpsacea5ca0.jpg  photo wand_zpsb8d9df73.jpg

We Really Are Our Own Worst Enemy - Inspired by Call Me Kuchu

So it turns out that the only thing that might truly know me well is Netflix. Yet again surrounded by procrastination I entered the world of Netflix not expecting much at all from it.

I often head straight towards the 'critically acclaimed' section, scrolling through, a title
David Kato
struck my interest: 'Call Me Kuchu'. I had no in-depth knowledge about the LGBT situation in Uganda other than the assumption that being gay was illegal. This documentary certainly opened my eyes to the horrific dehumanisation that is currently happening right now, as you are reading this post. I really don't want to try and write the same old 'stuff' that is told to us about suffering. But the truth is what it is. Let me introduce to you, David Kato. I had no idea of his existence before I watched this documentary. I had no idea of the work and bravery he put into living as one of the only openly gay men in Uganda. I cannot imagine how petrifying that must be, to live your life everyday in fear for your life. And what would kill you? Humanities ignorance. I don't want to write about Kato too much because I really want you to watch the documentary as I did. If you can find it somewhere please watch. Also as a side note Christopher Senyonjo is another amazing person that you'll get the privilege of experiencing in this documentary and evidence that religion doesn't always have to negate someones natural identity.

It would seem alien to my generation to see signs segregating skin colour. It would even seem alien to many people in the 'western world' to see signs segregating sexuality. I, like many people have become content in hearing about the positive movements in homosexuality and activism. I became ignorant to the fact that still many people are killed because they are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. How ridiculous is that and literally unbelievable. What is to blame?

Christopher Senyonjo
As a child I was brought up in a church, I went to Sunday school, read the bible and acted as I was expected. As I became older I grew away from the teachings of the bible and the church. Not in a rebellious or negative nature, it just felt natural for me. I was never witness to anything extreme or 'anti-gay'. To this day I haven't heard anything overtly negative from members of the church I used to go to. But I know deep down that many of them truly believe that being 'gay' is inherently wrong. The truth is that it is so easy to become angered by such unnecessary ignorance and inherent judgement. I found myself swearing and becoming infuriated with some of the anti-gay statements made in Call Me Kuchu. I had to make sure my mind stayed grounded. 

To me anything that supports negativity, or is the underlying or the main structure of violence is unnecessarily and illogical. We've made our way through evolution from primitive beings to intellectual brain powered humans. Yet still in our society we cling to old ideals and traditions to pacify our need for belonging. 
I've struggled with the idea of religion for a long time. I believe it's a lot to blame for current global negative situations and intrinsically the force behind most anti-gay activism. 
Religion doesn't have to be that way, even I know that as an agnostic. But unfortunately humans will do what they need to do to belong, even if that means the suffering of millions of people. 

So what's the answer? Religion I think will always exist in some way, I don't think we've evolved enough to look beyond the ideals of religion yet. 
Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive. - Dalai Lama
It's not just a new 'hipster' ideal to accept that everything is to be accepted, or something that mirrors the 'free-love' attitude of the 60's and 70's. To me it's an expected and needed rational evolution in human society to no longer have negative attitudes to something that, when it comes down to it is about loving another person and being who they are.

I hope that future generations don't feel the need to write posts like this one. Purely because I hope that there isn't a need. Even now people seem to see humans in groups and as a whole, sometimes I do it in regards to religion. We need to remember the individual. Especially now with the threat of terrorism and increasing extremism in varied forms. Don't let yourself be drawn into a vacuum of violence and assumptions; it just creates an ugly snow ball effect.

Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness. - Seneca

I really hope that from now on I can see people as individuals more. As long as they are not promoting or adhering to violence in any way, there is room to at least try and understand their point of view. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to agree with them, that is the beauty of humanity. I think some fear that trying to understand others means that you are agreeing with them. That is false. Staying neutral within the oppression and injustice of others is where weakness lies. Be brave and stand up against what is quite obviously harmful to others. Remember that; 'knowing your enemy makes you stronger'. We can't afford to be the ignorant ones.

LOVE IS A HUMAN RIGHT



Gain Some Thinking & Perspective:


7 comments:

Jenny J said...

A fantastic post Kerry, well said.

Mark said...

I haven't heard of this documentary before. Luckily I have netflix so I'll be sure to watch it ASAP. You have made some interesting points here. Well done for being brave and saying what you believe.

Sandy said...

I've just watched this doc when I saw your post. I cried so much. It's always tough to see a situation that you cannot directly change. Your post is beautiful

Kerrys Habitat said...

Thank you Sandy x

Kerrys Habitat said...

Thank you

Kerrys Habitat said...

Thanks!

Ted said...

Wonderful post with a lot of thought and time gone into it. You don't get many blog posts like this anymore.

Post a Comment