Pages Tabs

 photo Home_zps84cc54f6.jpg  photo About_zpsf956b413.jpg  photo pr_zps54be3163.jpg  photo follow_zps471f6f78.jpg  photo bloglovin_zpsabc84ff6.jpg  photo INT_zpsacea5ca0.jpg  photo wand_zpsb8d9df73.jpg

Books Books Books: Major Book Haul! + Free Bookshops!

When I was quite young I loved being read books by my dad. It was great to have a story come alive every evening. So as a child I had tons of children's books, then as a teenager I didn't tend to buy that many books. I went through a Jacqueline Wilson phase and a Twilight phase when the book came out. Now as an adult I have become completely obsessed with books. I think it really came into being when I started University nearly 4 years ago (makes me feel sick how long ago that was).

Now I enjoy everything literature; writing and reading really are one of my favourite hobbies. I don't think I could ever bring myself to through out a book. It just wouldn't happen. I must admit that over the last few months I haven't really purchased too many books. But after speaking with a fellow friend about books, I caught the book bug again. Yay! I've needed to buy a few books to take with me while I'm away. Now that excuse has been over used too many times. I thought I'd share with you the books that I've been buying, some new some old and where I get them from!
All these books were new, from main stream book shops. I mainly got these books for when I'm away in India. I need 2 1/2 months worth of reading, but I don't have room in my bag for all of them. I'll post the blurbs of some of the books down below. I'm most excited about reading Delirium and Thirteen.

Marvel Encyclopedia - The Works - £14.99
The Walking Dead (Woodbury), The Walking Dead (Governor) & The Returned - The Works - 3 for £5
The Girl With All The Gifts - Waterstones - £6.99 (Buy One Get One Half Price)
Fangirl - Waterstones - £6.99(Buy One Get One Half Price)
Delirium - Waterstones - £7.99 
Thirteen - WHSmiths - £6.99

The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey
NOT EVERY GIFT IS A BLESSING Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite. But they don't laugh. Melanie is a very special girl. Emotionally charged and gripping from beginning to end, THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS is the most powerful and affecting thriller you will read this year.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Cath and Wren are identical twins, and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She's horribly shy and has always buried herself in the fan fiction she writes, where she always knows exactly what to say and can write a romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life. Without Wren Cath is completely on her own and totally outside her comfort zone. She's got a surly room-mate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words ...And she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone. Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realizing that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
The first book in the breathtaking DELIRIUM trilogy. They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years suffocated by a lie. There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it. Then, at last, they found the cure.

Thirteen
Born at midnight in London, on the stroke of the new millennium, Adam is the target of a cult that believes boys born on this date must die before the end of their thirteenth year. Twelve boys have been killed so far. Coron, the crazy cult leader, will stop at nothing to bring in his new kingdom. And now he is planning a bombing spectacular across London to celebrate the sacrifice of his final victim: Adam.

The next three books I got were from Asda. Grocery stores can be great places to pick up a book bargain. I'd already got the first Hunger Games so I thought I would pick up the other two. I know I'm very late to that party. The Last Viking stood out because I love Viking history, it's fascinating to me so I am excited to dive in! All the books were in the 3 for £6 deal. Around £3 each normally.



Now let me introduce to you the best thing that has ever come to the book buying community. Free bookshops. Yes they exist. Basically in the UK there is a fantastic company called Healthy Planet. They have Free Bookshops all over the UK. They work on a donation basis. But don't worry they are not watching what you donate. Once you've got the books you want you go to the counter where they put the books in a bag for you.They have a mixture of new and old books. I'd say it's mainly the more modern books.
You then can pop whatever donation you can afford into a slot. It's totally up to you what you give. I'll provide a link so you can see if there is a Free Bookshop near you: - Click Here -
 
You just have to love old books <3
These two oldies were from a local bookshop, they were 25p each. Usually in mainstream UK charity shops you usually pay around £1 - £2 for a book. This bookshop wasn't one of the bigger charities, it was for a local cause. These shops are great as they tend to charge actual charity shop prices. I don't know what the top book is about but it was old and falling apart so I had to show it some love. 


Boot Sales! They are some of the greatest places to pick up books for a good price. Most people towards the end of the day at boot sales will sell their books off for about 10p! However I found this book amongst a set of them of around 8 books. I wanted this particular one as it featured the Anglo Saxons and Vikings. I asked how much it was and he said a £1 for all of them. I was in shock. For some stupid reason I said I'd pay a £1 for one and didn't take all of them! WHY! And he refused to take a £1 for it, so I paid 50p for it. It's such an amazing old book and I'm super sad I didn't just get all of them. Book lovers literal worst nightmare. AH I'm getting more annoyed with myself as I think about it.




These two books were picked up from Havens Hospice charity shop which is one of the bigger charity shops in the UK. They were a £1 each. I know you'll be surprised but I have never read the Harry Potter books. I know, I know, I apologise. I love the films so I'm sure that I'll love the books. I thought I'd start the collection as I see them. I couldn't resist Peter Pan, it's part of a really nice Penguin collection. 




Top 6 Places To Get Books:
1. Local Bookshops
2. Charity Shops
3. Grocery Stores
6. Amazon

I've realised I have gone slightly crazy on the book buying in the last few weeks. I really want to start reading the ones I've packed for India. I'll have to try my best to resist the temptation. Are there any great books you'd recommend? How about your favourite place to find bargain books? Are you a vintage book lover or new book lover, or a bit of both like me? Don't forget to leave your comments below, I always love hearing from you. Thank you reading. Till next time. Right now I'm off to the charity shops!


xxx

5 comments:

Janie said...

What an amazing aray of books! I'm actually reading the girl with all the gifts, so far so good! x

Sandy C said...

FREE BOOKSHOPS! :O Amazing!

Skye @ Planet Jinxatron said...

Don't give into temptation and start reading them early! Be strong! :)

Brenda said...

These are amazing books! I love books with interesting covers and old-fashioned hard covers.

Hadas said...

Is it weird that I actually got chills when I looked at the Peter Pan/HP photo. What is wrong with me?

Post a Comment